Monday 9 March 2009

Birthday Card for a Man

It was my dear freind Fab's birthday the other day and I know he loves this Elusive Images Owl stamp so it made it easy for me to decide on the main image for my card. The stamp is from the Wise Owl themeplate.

I started by making a brayered background using a Kaleidacolor ink pad (Country) which has bands of brown, green, blue, pink and yellow. I stamped the owl onto this using Midnight Blue Stazon. As I had chosen to stamp the owl with the colour bands of the background running vertically and had kept the stamp to the side with the brown, green and blue colours, the yellow band of colour my brayer had created was left clear. After cutting out the stamped owl I used the unstamped area of the background to stamp the owl's head again on the yellow area so I could cut out the eyes and glue them over the eyes in the orignal stamping giving the owl those wondeful amber eyes. I applied a thick coat of Glossy Accents to the eyes to make them shine. My finished owl was mounted onto some cream card that I had cut with an oval Nestability and then matted onto a scalloped oval cut from some brown Bazzill cardstock and which I had edged in gold using a Sakura Pentouch pen.

The card itself is a lovely amber yellow card from Stampin' Up which I thought picked up nicely on the colour of the owl's eyes and the pattern paper is also from Stampin' Up and was part of some lovely blog candy I won a while back from my SBS 20 sister Sam. I added a narrow strip of the same brown Bazzill to the card to create a contrasting border at the edge of the printed paper. Some very plain gold peel off corners added a finishing touch. I think think the image and the colours make this a lovely card for a man.

5 comments:

  1. Phree, I love all the little details you put into your work. That is what always makes it sing! The owl is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Phree. I love the way you did the owl's eyes.

    I bet Fab loved it too.

    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great image, Phree. I love everything you have done with it. the corners are a great add and those eyes have it too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I really like this owl, huh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Proud owner of this card now, thanks ever so much Phree, it's beautiful. XXXXX Fab

    ReplyDelete